Thank you to those that came out to SF Bazaar and Cal Academy’s NightLife and shopped with all of us crafters and artists. We really appreciate the support!
Shop news, the closing down has begun. My shop Biology Class is going to close as of January 1, 2017. It is time for me to move on from making specimens in such a focused way. I am going to pair my art down to having one shop.
I am going to extend my holiday sale through December 15th still HOLIDAY2016, this works in both shops.
So come get goodies! Everyone wants a Hippopotamus for Christmas. My Hippo and Crocodile ornaments will be posted to my soon to be only shop Sunday at 10am.
Hippopotamus for Christmas
Crocodile Bring the Ham
The Crocodile carries the Christmas Ham because, what else would a Crocodile politely bring to the holiday dinner?
I am also going to post at least two new prints of work I made this year. Red Riding Hood and Tadpole. Maybe Peacock?
A new beginning. I love painting but, I also love building with sculpey or other clay. These two styles of mine have been at odds with each other for years. I feel like I had to take a long while away from finishing major illustrations to play with these mediums to find the way to bring them together. My family Holiday card, per delays it ended up being a Valentine’s Day card, was my first in depth exploration into a full image with sculpey and paint. I started out building a structure. A large sculpey project is best built with armature.
I had wanted to make holes in the back of this armature to attach the sculpey build to the wood. This insuring its full attachment to the piece. It did not work out on this attempt and I will be continuing to play with that to see if I can make that happen. I ended up using a strong epoxy which, worked just fine. The next step was to put down a base layer of sculpey on the armature.
Once I had the hippo and ground completed I put together the children. I planned to paint everything but, really enjoy mixing and creating colors with sculpey. I also like having a colored base to paint on top of.
Once all the sculpey was completed I painted the background, glued down the cooked sculpey and then painted the sculpey. I used some found objects, dried plant pods, to make the shrubbery on the ground. I liked the added depth. Sometimes the best solution in a dimensional piece is a found object.
I am very happy with how this came out. I feel good about this direction for my illustration. My goal now is to complete a new portfolio with pieces like this. I am going to be in a Women of Peninsula art show in the fall. I am going to use that as a jumping off point for what themes I will apply to these pieces. I’m looking forward to the process.